Lotsa catching up....

...it's that time again as I've been away a while.
I've been quite busy, with finishing up school (graduated in June), and preparing for college. Exciting times. So much going on and so much has happened. I've included an album of all the latest photos.

As Spring came around after the Winter break it was a roller coaster of events and concerts.
I was so proud and thrilled to find out that soon after graduation I received word I'd been awarded the Texas UIL Solo and Ensemble's Outstanding Soloist Performer award yet again! Getting it twice doesn't happen very often...so you can imagine how happy I was and humbled.

Before I jump ahead let me just say what a fantastic time and concert was had this year at Texas All State Philharmonic! Conducted by USC's great Larry Livingston this  concert was probably one of the best one's I've ever had the honor of playing in and the audience experience was quite the same! The music selections were simply outstanding! (You can watch them all below. I'm 3rd chair cello)


In May I had the honor to play in my final concert with the Virtuosi of Houston. I have had the joy of playing with this organization for 5 years and served as the co-principal cellist this past year. I love this organization and am forever indebted to them for all the wonderful music experiences/training and opportunities they provided me, not to mention the lifelong friendships I developed. I will miss actively playing in this orchestra, but look forward to the future and perhaps them playing one of my pieces one day! The end of the year gala was literally a royal and beautiful event. We were honored with the presence of His Royal Highness Alexander Crown Prince of Serbia and Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia. They are absoultely the most HUMBLE, FRIENDLIEST, DOWN TO EARTH people I've ever met and are a treasure to their country and the many causes they represent. I was so happy and blessed to meet them and have played for them.

I also received a scholarship from my orchestra which meant a lot to me as this scholarship is in honor of my dear friend and fellow cello/stand partner for many years Juan Gomez (the Juan Gomez Memorial Scholarship) who passed away in 2010 from cancer. I was beyond moved to receive this. His family has been so supportive of my musical journey for many years. I also received a scholarship from Berklee College of Music where I will be attending very soon majoring in composition and performance. I am ready to get busy making music innovation and history!  I can't wait. I have also been crazy busy transcribing/transposing a lot of music for friends, musicians, and myself. On the classical end I've transcribed a few greats that I will be sharing with you soon, while on the contemporary side, I've been having a great time transcribing lots of music by Muse and The Strokes, so be on the lookout!

Soon after graduation I had my senior recital. You can see the video below.




-Roman


TEXAS ALL STATE 2012 PHILHARMONIC
Music selections:
•Nabucco Overture
•Saturn from the Planets
•Mahlers Ressurection Symphony.

SENIOR RECITAL
Shostakovich's Cello Sonata in D Minor 2nd Mvmt with my friend and such a talented pianist, Yilin Zhao.